|This Vegetable Soup Recipe is as close you get to cure your cold while enjoying some delicious food.
There is nothing better than playing in the snow, but it comes at a price! Starve off the winter cold with this heart warming soup.
Lentil, Vegetable and Quinoa Pasta Soup
YIELD: 8-10 Servings
PREP: 15 mins COOK: 60 mins READY IN: 1 hr 15 mins
- 2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 large Brown Onion diced
- 2 celery stalks diced
- 3 carrots diced
- 5 large Dutch Cream Potatoes cubed
- 2 x 400g tins organic crushed tomatoes
- 4 Large Tomatoes diced
- 1 Large Zucchini diced
- Water to cover
- 2 cups Brown Lentils
- 2 cups dried pasta (quinoa or wheat)
- Salt To Taste
- 1/2 tsp Smoked Paprika
- Fresh parsley and chili to serve
- In a large soup pot, heat the olive oil over a medium heat.
- Add the onions and cook until translucent and tender.
- Add the celery, carrots, and potato, and cook, stirring regularly for 8-10 minutes. You don't want the vegetables to stick to the pot, but to be a slight golden colour.
- Pour in the crushed tomatoes, fresh tomatoes and zucchini, along with enough water to cover all of the vegetables, and stir gently. Bring to a high boil, then drop the heat to a medium simmer; about 15-20 minutes.
- Add the brown lentils, and a touch more water if needed; then bring again to a high boil. Cook for a further 20 minutes.
- Add the pasta, along with a little more water if needed, bringing again to a high boil and stirring regularly.
- When cooked right, the lentils will be tender, the potatoes and carrot easily forked, and the pasta al dente.
- Add salt to taste, smoked paprika, and any fresh herbs you like, and serve immediately.
Notes: This is very much a 'add, taste, adjust' soup. Add a small amount of salt, then taste and add more if needed. Smoked paprika is a beautiful spice and adds depth; however omit if you choose.
Time for the pasta to cook depends on the type and brand of pasta. Serve with plenty of fresh parsley, and chilli if you like.
Original recipe from Vegie Head